Sunday, February 1, 2009

Weeks 5 & 6

Hi everyone :)

Yes it's a 'double whammy' this week since I didn't get last weeks prompt up in time! Let's get straight into it!!!

Week 5: Too Long!

If you're a proscrastinator (like me) then you are probably used to putting things off in the hope that you might not even need to do them anymore... but sometimes we also put off the things we actually want to do! And sometimes that can lead to unhappy times :(

This is exactly what happened to me last weekend and it was a really good reminder to myself of what really is important to me.

The journaling reads: Sometimes I 'put off' things that I REALLY want to do because life gets busy! Most of the time I can 'catch up'... but last weekend I found out that it's possible to leave things for TOO LONG!

I decided to spend the long weekend with my sister and her family and on the way there we worked out that we hadn't seen each other for 5 MONTHS!

I was SO looking forward to some 'Auntie' time! When we arrived, Aidan and Leila came rushing up to see me and we had huge cuddles.

When Reece woke up has was a bit 'grizzly' so I just waited... BUT he didn't KNOW who I was! Last time I saw him I gave him of cuddles but now I was a STRANGER!

My beautiful nephew smiles and laughs all the time but he spent the whole weekend CRYING whenever I even looked at him!

From now on I'm going to 'make time' to see him so that he will SMILE for 'Auntie'.

It really was a shock to realise that Reece had no idea who I was... and I felt horrible that he was so unhappy because we were there. I've never been in this situation before because I've always been around the kids while they've been babies but this past year has been different.

Are you 'putting off' things you really want to do as well???

Week 6: Hats

Tomorrow it's back to school for me! We had our teacher-only days on Thursday and Friday and it was a bit of a reality check after so much time away from 'work'. A few of us in the staff room where discussing the various 'hats' we wear during a school day and it made me think about the different hats we wear in our everyday lives.

Terri Hatcher talks about 'hat wearing' in her book too... it seems to be a universal thing!


The journaling reads: Tomorrow another school year will begin and it made me realise how many 'hats' I wear.

On any given day we all wear different hats... and I think women tend to wear more than anyone! Counting up all the hats can be quite daunting!!!

Let's see:
  • Mother
  • Teacher
  • Business Owner
  • Sister
  • Daughter
  • Friend
  • Chef
  • Homeowner
  • Ms 'Fix it'
  • Accountant

The list goes ON and ON!

It's no wonder that we spend so much time every day running from one activity to another!

It's all a big balancing act!

One thing I'm sure about this year is that I want to wear my SHELL hat more often! The benefits are huge!!! Not just for me but for everyone around me too!

I think a lot of my problems start when I try wearing too many hats at the same time. There is definitely a difference between multi-tasking and taking on too much! How is your hat wearing going???

I'll be back next Sunday with another update so until then have a great week! And if you're a mum with kids heading back to school... ENJOY!!!

1 comment:

Marjolein said...

Great pages Shell, you must have felt awefull with the crying nephew, I know I would......
And the hats.... men.... we do have to many don't we, sometimes!
Have a great week!!