Sunday, March 1, 2009

Week 10: Know... when to fold!

I had something completely different in mind for this week... until a particular situation came up and I knew I wanted to share it because I'm sure lots of you have had similar situations.

I grew up with Mum playing Country music (and I still listen to it) and sometimes one of the 'old' songs will pop into my head. Today it was Kenny Rogers song 'The Gambler'. It's been going around in my head all afternoon!!!

You know how sometimes you're working on a project... and try as you might it just WON'T come together???? And then other times everything just FLOWS! I've had that happen a lot since I've been scrapbooking... and today I realised that I have it in other areas of my life as well.

My layout is all ready to go (except for the photo) but I can't get a good photo so I'll have to upload it tomorrow. In the mean time, here is the journaling:

Have you ever tried REALLY hard to make something work but it's just NOT a happening thing? I'm all for perseverance... but sometimes you just have to KNOW it's time to fold!

This situation happened in our family today. Krystal has had her Learners Licence since October 2007. She got her 'Learners' because she thought the age limit was going up and she didn't want to miss out... but she didn't really WANT to learn to drive.

Since then she's only had 4 or 5 lessons with me... and a few with her Auntie Katey. So today we had another go. She talked her way through everything she had to do... and STALLED. "No biggie" I said. So she tried again... and again... and AGAIN!

Meanwhile she is getting VERY frustrated! And she's NOT listening to me! I managed to stay CALM (just) and tried to help... but it just made things WORSE!

So... I'm FOLDING!!!

Miss Krystal can have professional lessons! I think we'll both be much happier now :)

Here's a bit more of the same sort of situation... It's been a strange experience because I always thought Krystal listened really well and then I realised... we had the same thing when she was learning to ride a bike! When she was about 6 she got given a bike by her Dad and she asked me to teach her how to ride it. Luckily we had a park nearby so EVERY afternoon we would walk the bike down to the park and I'd spend an hour pushing the bike and telling her to pedal... after 6 WEEKS we were still doing it and I was running out of patience.

A little while later I'm coming home from work and I see Krystal's bike going down the road... and I thought she'd finally gotten it... but it was Mikayla!!! She'd watched what we'd been doing and figured out that she could do it all by herself!

p.s. Krystal still can't ride a bike!

So now it's your turn... how do you know when it's time to fold???

Have a great week :)
Shell xx

Hi again :) As promised... here is my layout. Notice that it doesn't have the photo of the drivers licence??? Yes I'm still getting the silent treatment!!! But this too will change :)

No comments: