Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Weeks 26 & 27

June has definitely brought some highs and lows in our family. My grandmother (Dad's mother) passed away recently... just prior to her 107th birthday!! It's amazing to think of all the things that have happened during her lifetime and how much it has all changed since she was a little girl. Which brings me to this weeks prompt:

Week 26: Heirlooms

This weeks prompt is all about heirlooms and history! The journaling reads: Just before her 107th birthday my Gran passed away. She led a very full life and had lots of interesting stories to tell.

A week later my Dad gave me a very special heirloom!

The brooch is a Scottish Thistle made from solid silver with paua inserts! The detail on the leaves is incredible! Apparently this brooch originally belonged to Gran's mother!

It's really stunning and I'm thrilled that Dad gave it to me.

It also made me realise that I have been given quite a few heirlooms over the years. Some are big... my dressing table... and some are small... like Nana's wedding ring... and yet they each hold memories, and history of times gone by.

I'm wondering what items my girls will want in the future and what memories they will associate with them. It really is the little things in life that count.

Of course, as a scrapbooker I'm hoping that my albums will be treasured and that journals like 'Creating My Life' will be read with interest. These days though, we live in such a 'throw away' era that my girls (and their future children) are not going to want to keep my laptop etc... so what heirlooms will I be leaving behind??

Week 27: A good sort of tired

I often go to bed feeling tired... which is a good thing... but it's often more a mental tiredness than a physical one. On Sunday I definitely felt physically tired!

The journaling reads: On Sunday I went down to Taupo to get some firewood from my cousin. Krystal came with me and it was nice to get a change to really talk to her.

Instead of just getting firewood from the shed we headed out the back of the farm to get some really good wood!

First though, we had to feed all the horses! Fearnley's got 40 horses so it took us quite a while! He's driving the ute while I'm holding on and feeding out the hay. Next minute I hear: "Hold on Cuz!" and the ute starts sliding sideways! Nothing like a bit of adrenaline to get the heart racing!

Then it was time to gather pinecones and cut wood... in the rain!

We ended up heading home several hours later with a huge load of wood and pinecones... and very dirty, wet and tired!

It was a great sort of tired though. The sort of tired that lets you know you've worked hard! The sort of tired that gives you a great nights sleep!!!

Unfortunately I've turned into a bit of a 'townie' and my poor body didn't really cope with all the physical work in the rain and I've ended up with a cold... although the headache has finally worn off!

The best part about getting the firewood was working with my cousin... we worked hard, talked lots and just generally felt happy in each others company. It really was a great day :) And of course we are now enjoying lovely warm fires at home!

I hope you're all having a great week and I'll do my best to have the next prompt ready on time :)

No comments: