Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I've made a start!

At the beginning of 2007 Emily Falconbridge designed an art journal journey she nicknamed a 'Deck of Me'. Each week she posts new challenge on her blog and she's currently up to Week 36 BUT I only found the blog a couple of weeks ago so I'm starting out at the beginning and at some point I'm bound to catch up! So far I've completed Weeks 1 - 4 so that's not bad going!

Emily's challenges are quite thought provoking at times and I'm having quite a bit of fun using up all sort of scraps that are left over from making layouts. It's also a great way to try out new techniques that I'm not too sure about without worrying about messing up my 12 x 12's.

I've decided to make mine into some sort of book at the end... probably with a hole punched in a top corner and threaded onto a ring but if you have any other ideas please leave me a comment!

Here's my front cover:
Then I made an index page just to remind myself of where the idea for this came from: Week 1: something you are proud of. It was hard to choose just one thing... being a mum? completing teachers college? overcoming a brain aneurysm? in the end I chose being proud of taking chances and following my dreams.
I found a great little quote by Mark Twain that I wanted to include but it wouldn't fit so I made a tiny card to go under the butterfly and it worked pretty well:Week 2: what is powerful to you? Lots of things came to mind for this one too... like I said, some of the challenges are really thought provoking! In the end I chose learning to live from my heart which is becoming more and more important to me as I get older.
Week 3: I am... Yep it happened again... I am 36? I am a mum? I am a teacher? I am creative? Nope... my biggest challenge these days is finding balance so... I am constantly trying to find balance in my life!
Week 4: A symbol you love. This one was much easier to choose. I just love the koru and what it represents! I also love paua shell so putting the two together gave me an awesome result.
So that's the first four prompts completed. I'd love to hear your comments so please don't be shy!

11 comments:

Marjolein said...

Wow.... this is really beautiful!! Your cards are so different then the ones I've seen in the whole 36 weeks I'm doing this challenge! But I love them...they are all so very special!! Hope to see more of your cards soon!!

Lee Weber said...

Nice job!! I love the way each person makes this challenge their own! I just started too, but have been taking them out of order. Is it a box you have them in? Very cool! Very thoughtful.

Paula J Atkinson said...

This is fantastic, such a lot of work & thought has gone into it. I hope you really enjoy each piece you add to it.

Je@net said...

Wow, so glad you join us!! Love your take on this challenge!! Great cards!!

Jen said...

Welcome to the challenge! Your cards are all great!

Anonymous said...

so glad you shared, and have joined in the challenge! i love your approach to the cards so far and am excited for you to be on this journey!

Unknown said...

wow you have been really busy, they are all fantastic cards, I love how you have set them all together.

Heather said...

Beautiful! I love how you've done them! Welcome to the challenge!

Debbie Doughty said...

Your journal is amazing. I love the way each card has doodling on the border to tie them together. Mine are all different. I that too! Like Lee W. said, each person makes this challenge their own! But they are all special :) I look forward to seeing more of your cards...

saffiertje said...

Your cards are all in style!fabu!!

Kristen said...

wow. your cards are all so fabulous! so great!