Thursday, September 27, 2007

Loving the school holidays!

It's true that I enjoy teaching but it's equally true that I love having school holidays! I seem to get so much more done... and I have heaps of time for scrapping :) I'm still loving the challenges... and I seem to be catching up quite quickly now so here's the next installment!

Week 14: birds. It's just turning into spring here and we've got tui's outside every morning. They're singing is so beautiful and the blossoms are stunning. It made me think about all the little baby chicks being born... and then I thought about my own 'chicks'. They're growing up so quickly and they're really beginning to think about what they want out of life. I remember being that age myself and it really doesn't seem that long ago!

Week 15: your parents. Hmm this was actually a hard one! It made me really think about what we inherit from our parents and the whole 'nature vs nuture' thing... especially with having a step dad who definitely has had an influence on my life as well! My sisters and I have inherited several different 'cultures' (Scottish, Irish, Romany Gypsy, Maori, American the list goes on!) all wrapped up in the 'kiwi culture' so I focussed on the two cultures I most identify with.Week 16: get someone else to contribute. My daughter Krystal (15) is becoming a very talented scrapbooker! The other day she made an album about her school friends and she did this amazing cover that was stamped, embossed and then stitched. It was absolutely gorgeous so I got her to do the artwork for my card. Thank you Krystal! I'm so proud of your talents :)Week 17: your bedroom. We rented a house about 4 years ago that I absolutely loved. It was an old state house that had been renovated so it had big bedrooms and lots of polished wood. The house had a great feel and awesome french doors that led into the front garden. While we lived there I took heaps of photos of the house because I knew that one day I would like to have a house like that and I'm so pleased I did because I used them for this weeks card. It was also a good time to journal about some of my most precious possessions: I was really close to my Great-Grandmother and when I was 2 she gave me a beautiful walkie-talkie doll that I've still got. When she died she left me her dressing table and it's lovely... one day I'm going to get it restored. Then a few years ago my Grandmother gave me a huge print of the 'Gypsy Queen' which I have always loved. Week 18: nature. Darn it! I did a card about that in Week 13 (what's on your mind?). This time I focussed on being in nature and how it makes you realise how much 'bigger' the universe is compared with your part in it. Nature has always been really important to me... probably a throw-back to growing up on a farm! When I'm really upset, or angry, or sad I usually turn to nature to help me through. So that's my update. Hope you all enjoy the cards and thanks again for all the wonderful comments... I love hearing what you think of my work :)

6 comments:

Kirstin Anderson-McGhie (Keamac) said...

Shell, this is the first time I have visited this blog and I have to say... you're cards are just stunning!!!! They look awesome and the depth within your journalling... I'm feeling so inspired now. (and having seen your ATC cards and circle journal work I was already blown away!) You are one talented lady.

Debbie Doughty said...

I love coming back to see your new creations!
They are just wonderful. It is obvious that you put a lot of thought into each one. I especially like your take on the Bird prompt, and the Gypsy/Maori one. I was fortunate to see a traditional Maori dance group at the Merrie Monarch Festival in Hawaii this year. They were awesome!

Mrs Frizz said...

Most impressed. Keep up it up. Your cards make great reading.

Loved the comment about the 'Treks' - that took me back a few years ...

Lee Weber said...

You have been working really hard- love all of them.

Sooz said...

what a treat to first discover your cards in week 38! your work is lovely...really love the uniform "look" with the borders...if you are still looking for a way to "bind" them....I am using plastic baseball trading card type protectors....in a three ring binder...can see both sides of the cards and they look great all lined up together (like an Art Quilt!) I will post some pics on my blog...thanks for the inspiration!

Marjolein said...

I missed these..... boy, they are super!!! Love them all, so glad you've joined!