Sunday, October 18, 2009

Week 37: Frustration

I almost called this prompt 'Temper Tantrums'... in fact, I even had the title ready to go... but in light of the fact that Mum just brought me back some lovely scrapbooking goodies from Perth... and it is almost Christmas (Yup I'm hoping for a present!!) I changed it to 'Frustration' LOL

Before I share my layout I want to give you the story... I arrived at Mum's late afternoon and heard a 'not very happy' voice from her craft room saying "I'm in here"... I probably should have turned around and gone home... but I braved it and went in! Here's how the conversation went:

Me: What's wrong?
Mum: I keep breaking needles. I've broken six in the last hour!
Me: What's wrong with it (the sewing machine).
Mum: Well it keeps breaking needles doesn't it!
Me: What were you doing when the first needle broke?
Mum: Well I was sewing wasn't I!

Hmmm... you can see how this is going can't you!

Me: Have you 'fiddled' with anything inside it?
Mum: Well of course I haven't!
Me: Can I have a look?
Mum: You won't be able to do anything... it's going to have to go to Wellington on Monday and now I can't get my sewing done for Perth!!
Me: Yes but can I just have a look?
Mum: All right (and there was a little foot stamping happening at this point too!!)

Me: How do you take the plate off?
Mum: You're not allowed to take the plate off... only a technician can do that!
Me: Well maybe there's a bit of needle still stuck inside.
Mum: There's NOT I cleaned it all out!
Me: I thought you said you weren't allowed to take the plate off.
Mum: Well I had to clean it didn't I!!

End result: I took the plate off and it turns out that when MOTHER cleaned it out (even though only a technician can do that!) she didn't quite have the bobbin shuttle in right. I turned it a tiny fraction and it dropped back into place... and voila! Machine sewing again... needles not breaking... and Mum no longer stamping her foot! :)

Here's my layout:
The journaling reads: Let's face it... we ALL get frustrated at times! Sometimes things don't go right... sometimes other people annoy us... and sometimes we get incredibly frustrated with ourselves!!

I went to visit Mum a few weeks ago and she was ready to explode! She was in her craft room... and going on the sounds coming from inside, it might have been wiser to leave!

It turned out that she'd broken SIX sewing needles in the past hour!

Logic would tell you that something was wrong with the machine... but logic wasn't high on Mum's agenda at the time!

In the end it turned out that the bobbin shuttle wasn't quite in right!

We got it all sorted out before I left... but it made me think about my own actions when I get frustrated. I have since made very concentrated efforts to keep calm and even the girls have noticed. Thanks for the life lesson Mum xx

After leaving Mum's place I went and visited one of my sisters and her little girls. We'd done the bathing thing and Kody (2 years old) was meant to be packing up her toys and she threw one of them... so I said "Your just like Grandma... she throws her toys too!"

Kody: Grandma not do that!
Me: Grandma DID do that (Katey - my sister - pricked up her ears and I said I'd explain later)
Kody: That's naughty... your not allowed to throw toys.
Me: I know... but Grandma was throwing all her toys out of the sandpit.
Kody: Kody NOT do that... Grandma naughty!

I'm not sure if that particular conversation got back to Mum... but it really was funny!

I hope you all have a good week... and try not to let frustration get the better of you :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha Ha. Just goes to show I HAVE finally taught Shelley something !!!!!!!It's taken awhile. NEVER GIVE UP. The facts are true I must admit. I had a time schedule and it wasn't working. I can laugh now but it wasn't funny at the time believe me.

Esther said...

LOL. Even though I had heard the story, it was so funny to read it! I will do my best to take that life lesson on board too however, ..... it is raining here, AGAIN!!!!!

Estellita said...

Very funny to read !!! I like how you make your journaling and your project : it's the most original i have seen this yae !!
Kisses from France !